[ALU-discuss] ALU and the next ILC

Daniel Herring dherring at tentpost.com
Fri Nov 6 05:57:06 GMT 2009

On Wed, 28 Oct 2009, Stelian Ionescu wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-10-28 at 07:43 +0100, Ernst van Waning wrote:
>>
>> The series of International Lisp Conferences, organized by ALU since
>> 2002, have been very successful.  We have visited the US west coast
>> (ILC02, ILC05), the US east coast (ILC03, ILC09) and England (ILC07).
>>
>> Before making definite steps in organizing the next ILC, we would like
>> to know your ideas of where we might best organize it.  Please join us
>> at ALU-discuss at alu.org and ALU-announce at alu.org and help us choose the
>> next site.
>
> Jeremy Jones asked this same question at this year's ECLM in Hamburg and
> consensus was in favour of Tokyo. From Europe, an airflight to the US or
> Japan costs pretty much the same and I'd rather go to Tokyo.

Trying to stir up more discussion...

I have heard some post-ELCM conversations regarding the next ILC location.
My impression is that Japanese lispers are a bit hesitant to host the
conference.  While they don't mind the idea, nobody has stepped forward to
be an organizer.  When asked, Kuroda scoped out a couple potential sites
(e.g. Kyoto), but he would need other locals to take major roles.  Most
interest has been from foreigners (folks in Europe or the US) who cannot
do the actual coordination work.

An ILC in Japan would present some unique challenges.  Apparently, there
are up to 50 locals who might attend a conference.  However, most would
only attend if the speeches were translated live; their presentations
would have the opposite problem.  Both papers and the website would also
need translation.  To avoid rush-hour crowds, it is important to have the
conference facility located near the hotels.

As ILC09 emphasized, a large local lisp community is beneficial to any ILC
location.  Hence "traditional sites" are perennial favorites.  One person
expressed the sentiment that, with annual ELCMs keeping Europe busy, it
might not be a bad idea to host ILCs near the other large lisp populations
(North America).  Major cities in Canada may be close enough to qualify.
There was also some speculation about trying to colocate ILC with another
conference.

So far, ILCs have centered around Common Lisp communities.  Are there any
Clojure/Dylan/Scheme/... people who would like an ILC in their area?

To modify Ernst's original question, is anyone interested in organizing
the next ILC in their area?

Later,
Daniel