[ILC-2007-announce] International Lisp Conference, UK, April 2007

Nick Levine ndl at ravenbrook.com
Wed Apr 19 18:53:59 PDT 2006

The next International Lisp Conference will be hosted at Clare
College, Cambridge (UK), from April 1 through 4, 2007.

Alongside our usual four day program of tutorials and excellent
speakers, we have added a quintessential English experience:
traditional dinner served in the college's historic "hall".

Clare was founded in 1326 which I believe makes it the city's second
oldest college. If you take a look at this map...

http://www.clare.cam.ac.uk/about/map-college.html

... we'll be taking accomodation in Memorial Court (20th century
plumbing!), and meals & the first day's tutorials in Old Court.

About 5 minutes walk between Memorial and Old courts, along a wooded
avenue covered in bulbs this time of year, past the Fellows' Garden
and over the river Cam.

5 minutes walk the other way (parallel to the Cam) from Memorial Court
are the faculties of Law and Divinity, where we'll hold talks on days
2-4.

Cambridge is an unspoiled, old university town; some of its colleges
(and their buildings) date back to the 14th century. It's the city
that inspired Darwin, Newton, AA Milne, Wordsworth, John Cleese and
Stephen Hawking. It's also a centre of active research in many fields;
of particular relevance to us - for example - are the University's
Computer Laboratory and the nearby Sanger Centre.

The city is set in low-lying country fifty miles north of London from
which it has excellent access by train. Stansted airport is about 20
miles away and serves many European airports, often on low-cost
airlines. Visitors from further afield will come in through Heathrow
or Gatwick which are further away but still readily accessible by
public transportation.

Put the dates in your diaries, spread the word, and watch this space
for further information later in the year. The ILC-2007-announce
mailing list will be used to pass on information as it becomes
available about: speakers, events, conference website, costs (expected
to be broadly similar to last year's), registration.

In the meantime, if you want to get in touch with us, please write to
ilc-2007-organizing-committee at alu.org.

I looking forward to meeting you in Cambridge next April.

- Nick Levine