[intra-lisp-group] Fwd: presentations vs not

Brandon J. Van Every bvanevery at gmail.com
Sat Feb 10 11:44:09 PST 2007

Heow Eide-Goodman wrote:
>>> I be thinking of doing one at our local Linux Users Group meeting, but
>>> wondering would an introduction to lisp and it's history be a good
>>> subject or common lisp for web development.
>>> That's the question that got me stump, and hopefully it could spark
>>> some interest in Lisp.
>>>

> It definitely sparked interest here when I did a presentation for NYLUG.
>
> Unfortunately you need to be fluent in nearly every language BUT Lisp,
> simply so you can intelligently compare apples to oranges.  :-)

On the serious side: don't set up barriers for yourself why you can't /
shouldn't do a presentation, why some aspect of it isn't ideal.  If
someone babbles about language feature X, say "I don't know" and see if
someone in the audience does.  Perhaps be prepared to make comparisons
with 1 other language, but geez, don't raise the bar oh-so-high.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every