[intra-lisp-group] Promoting Common Lisp in my area

Brandon J. Van Every bvanevery at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 17:10:08 PST 2007

Patrick X wrote:
> I'm having the hardest time getting this group together.
> I schedule a meeting once before at the local library and it was a diaster only
> me and a friend I invited showed up.  So I'm trying to promote now via
> google groups
> I was wondering if anyone could look at:  http://groups.google.com/group/lispstl
>
> And recommend any suggest for improving it.  I love lisp even thou my
> knowledge it limited
> on it for now.  Thanks in advance!

A library is not a good venue.  Translation: boring.  Pick a pub or a
coffee house.  A place that serves some kind of food is also generally
preferred.  Pick a part of town that is easy for most people to get to,
and that has a reasonable amount of free on-street parking available.

You need to get the committments of 3 *reliable* people to have a
group.  That is, they promise to keep showing up to group meetings.  If
you've got that seed, you can grow.  Did you actually get, "Yes I'm
coming," committments out of people on your previous group attempt?

If you did and they just flaked, then you're dealing with exceedingly
unprofessional people.  My experience in the Seattle area is if
programmers say they're coming, then they're coming.  If they say
they're not coming, then they aren't.  But they don't flake.  So if
flakes were the problem, you need to advertize your group to a "more
serious" crowd somehow.  For SeaFunc, I think I started with the OCaml
mailing list once upon a time, and then later we became aware of a
Scheme group.  We joined forces to create SeaFunc.

If you didn't confirm by e-mail that 3 people were actually coming, then
you didn't do enough organizational work to ensure the 1st meeting's
success.  Do more next time.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every