[Uk-lispers] Pub session frequency?

Ingvar ingvar at cathouse.bofh.se
Wed Feb 26 08:24:46 PST 2003

> * Ingvar <ingvar at cathouse.bofh.se> [2003-02-26 14:49:39 +0000]:
>
> > Dave Pearson wrote:
> >
> > > As someone who happened to see mention of this list in passing, could
> > > you be so kind as to outline what a "pub session" is? Yes, I know what a
> > > pub is ($DEITY knows I've had the odd session in one <g>) I'm just
> > > wondering what and where one is in regard to Lisping in the UK.
> >
> > Well, what happened at the last one was "peopel sat around and talked
> > about stuff and beer was drunk". The most visible result is, I think, this
> > mailing list.
>
> I'd sort of gathered that much, apologies if I wasn't clear enough. I was
> rather thinking more about the what (as in, "what's the aim?", "having a
> chat" seems like a good enough answer) and the where (as in, "the UK is
> reasonably large so did you have any specific areas in mind in your initial
> email?", or is the idea to get people in different areas to organise local
> gatherings).

Ah. Yes. The ones that have been has been in London and Cambridge.

The agenda for the Lonodn one was "meet, talk about lisp and see where taht
takes us". Very unrestricted. There was all sorts of conversations happening
across the table, including some handy pointers for one of my hobby horses.

> In other words, is the frequency question about a specific "pub session" and
> where did you have in mind?

To be honest, the *main* reason was to check that the list actually worked. ;)

Though getting some sort of regular thing going in suitable locations is
probably a good idea, it seems to work well for the Perl people.

//Ingvar