[Uk-lispers] London pub-meet proposal (thursday June 12th or 19th)

Ingvar ingvar at cathouse.bofh.se
Fri Jun 6 13:39:32 PDT 2003

[First, an apology, it looks like my secondary DNS fell over and
 there was no DNS for cathouse.bofh.se visible to the world for a while,
 tehre is now glue records in at least one more place, so...]
Daniel wrote:
> Donald Fisk <hibou00000 at enterprise.net> writes:
>
> > Ingvar wrote:
> >
> >> Therefore, I think it's time for a new one. Tomorrow is a bit short notice,
> >> so I'd propose next week or the week after.
> >>
> >> Comments? Place suggestions? I guess we could go for Green Man again
> >> or try another place, whatever peopel are most happy with.
> >
> > 19th's better for me.   Green Man's fine.
>
> Any other takers?
>
> There are two things I'd like to do on the topic of uk-lispers:
>
> First: although the pub meets are a welcome opportunity to meet people
> of an evening and talk about fairly tangential topics, I think it'd
> also be interesting to have a little more technical content.
>
> Who would be interested in/willing to give, for example
>
>  (a) pre-prepared presentations (optionally involving slides or ohp or
>  similar) on Lisp-related topics
>
>  (b) less formal ten minute stand-up-and-tell-people-what-you're-doing
>  sessions

(b) I can do, both work-wise (not that interesting, who is *really* interested
in multi-ste fail-over clusters and BGP, eh?), currently hacking on in CL and
upcoming projects.

[SNIP]
> Second: it would be good to publicise these meetings more widely and
> try to draw people in (my ideas for targets: London.pm (Perl users),
> London/Oxford Linux user groups, ox.ac.uk AI Society, etc).  Of
> course, it would be a more compelling evening out for these people if
> they had some idea in advance what would be happening.

Can do, I suppose. Both announce it in a completely different set of
newsgroups and try to remember pushing on c.l.l (and updating alu.cliki.net).

As for suitable venues, I could always ask if we can grab the conference room
at work. I *think* it'd be doable and there's whiteboard(s) and comfy chairs.

Dunno how we are on overhead projectors, though. May be a bit low, I'm afraid.

Not entirely sure how peopel feel about trekking out to Docklands, though
(it's about 15 minutes on the DLR from Bank and a fairly short walk from
Canary Wharf).

Other suggestions for suitable conference rooms welcome.

//Ingvar