[Uk-lispers] Miscellaneous tidbits

Noel Welsh noelwelsh at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 15 05:11:52 PDT 2004

Hi all,

Some notes on the last meeting I thought I should send out.
 Sorry about the delay -- I was away last week.

Firstly, I'd like to offer my best wishes to Jeremy and
Johannes, who are both starting PhDs at Edinburgh.  As
Edinburgh is the birthplace of both ML and Prolog I'm sure
they'll get all the programming language goodness they can
handle.  In fact I suggest they start a splinter cell of
the main Scheme UK / uk-lispers group -- there is at least
one Common Lisp consultancy (Cley, I believe) in Auld
Reekie, and the Artifiical Intelligence Applications
Institute (AIAI) are also big users of Common Lisp (though
I worry their standards are slipping -- recent papers from
the AIAI have been published as Word documents!)  If they
do this I volunteer myself as a speaker -- though perhaps
not till summer!

I'd also like to engage is a bit of rabble rousing.  It has
been suggested by radical factions (I won't name names)
that we prepare a 'J2EE Manifesto' for presentation to the
Extreme Tuesday group in London (the members of Extreme
Tuesday of course representing the evil Java/.Net/bloatware
orthodoxy, except when they don't).  This sounds like an
excellent idea to me, though sadly I may be unable to
attend due to teaching commitments.  I have a work in
progress called the "The Death of Patterns" which would
also be suitable (basically it is an argument for macros --
I ran out of steam when I realised none of the Java macro
systems were supported).  Viva le revolution!

I also have some notes on the next meeting: Ingvar has
offered to speak on the 6th.  I'm still awaiting an
abstract from him (he has the temerity to place marriage
before sexps) but IIRC he will be talking about Hemlock.

Cheers,
Noel

=====
Email: noelwelsh <at> yahoo <dot> com