[Uk-lispers] Proposal for 2005
noelwelsh at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 5 06:17:51 PST 2005
There will not be a meeting this January, as nothing has
been arranged in time. We had 9 meetings last year. This
isn't bad but I'd ideally like to have >= 12 meetings, and
especially to arrange them further in advance -- a lot of
meetings were only announced a week or two before they took
place. Hence I propose a different way of organising
meetings for this year:
I would like everyone to email me (or the mailing list) a
list of topics and speakers they'd be interested in
If you are willing to talk on any topic please include that
as well. I will then invite speakers to give talks. I
don't feel that talks have to be explicitly about Scheme.
Anything that touches on the theory or practice of
is good. The only restriction I think we should have is
that speakers know enough about Scheme or functional
programming to engage in a meaningful conversation with the
rest of the group.
To get the ball rolling here is a short list:
- compilation of Scheme: basics and neat tricks
- AOP -- is it just MOP for the Java crowd?
- practical issues in using Scheme: what works, what
- software engineering practice in general
- anything interesting from computer science, AI,
biological computing or computer based art
- those behind Converge: http://convergepl.org/ (for
controversy read http://tratt.net/laurie/bliki/)
- Nic Ferrier (has some views on practical use of
- random LShifties (David, Matthias, Mike, Tony) on
various interesting projects they are involved in
- John Kozak (IIRC has promised to talk about designing
hardware w/ Scheme)
Email: noelwelsh <at> yahoo <dot> com
Do you Yahoo!?
Read only the mail you want - Yahoo! Mail SpamGuard.
More information about the uk-lispers