[uk-lispers] Lisp talk - 10th May, Cambridge - Success with macros and closures - a brief foray into Common Lisp

Mark Dalgarno mark at software-acumen.com
Thu Apr 13 02:15:20 PDT 2006

Nick Levine, who I'm sure many of you know, will be giving a talk on
10th May. The event is free and open to all.

Details below:
SPA Cambridge evening meeting - 10th May 2006, 19:30 (Drinks and
sandwiches available from 19:00)

SPA-Cam 005: Success with macros and closures - a brief foray into
Common Lisp
Speaker: Nick Levine, Ravenbrook
Venue: Microsoft Research Centre Cambridge, Roger Needham Building, 7 J
J Thomson Ave, Cambridge CB3 0FB, UK

Synopsis

Ask a seasonsed lisper "Why lisp?" and they'll talk to you about a
language that's fun to program in and incredibly productive. I will try
to convey a sense of this by implementing a couple of simple but
fully-featured examples: a progress bar and an html generator. We won't
have time to cover all the basics of this large language, so we'll skip
most of these altogether and dive more or less straight in with two of
its more distinguishing features: the eponymous macros and closures.

Speaker Biography

Nick Levine describes himself as a mathematician by training and a
programmer by trade. Coming to Common Lisp in the late 1980s Nick worked
on the LispWorks project for ten years. Since then he has taught lisp to
undergraduates, written an open-source search engine, and taken up the
stress-free existence of a software consultant. He is a director of the
Association of Lisp Users; he presented tutorials at their last three
conferences and is currently organising the International Lisp
Conference for 2007, to be held here in Cambridge.

Please preregister for the event so we can get accurate numbers for
catering. If you already have a BCS SPA wikiname you can self register
for the event at
http://bcs-spa.org.uk/cgi-bin/view/SPA/SuccessWithMacrosAndClosures.
Contact me otherwise at mark at software-acumen.com or for more information.

Hope to see some of you there,
Mark Dalgarno

--
Software Acumen
Tools and Services for Software Product Lines