[uk-lispers] hello uk lispers

Donald Fisk hibou at onetel.com
Tue Dec 14 23:21:42 GMT 2010

On Tue, 2010-12-14 at 11:19 +0000, Paulo J. Matos wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 10:25 AM, Holly Styles
> <hollystyles at fastmail.co.uk> wrote:
> >  I'm reading this list.
> >
> > I have a purely hobbyist interest in LISP.
> >

> If you would have told me that you had a 'professional' interest in
> LISP and you are living in the UK, then you should let me know how you
> landed that job. :)

I'm still here, and occasionally take my parentheses out of a drawer and
play with them.

Most of my programming at work is in C, but sometimes I try out
algorithms, and do data munging, in Lisp.

But I haven't been paid to write it since 2000, and that was in Belgium.
Except for 24hours on a hack day, that is, writing a program to compose
songs in the style of the Beatles.   It won the wackiest hack award too.

At home, I use my own Lisp implementation.

Lisp meetings seem to have petered out, and there hasn't been contact
with Schematics (at LShift) for a few years either.   About a year or
two ago, there was a computer science reading club where the set text
was SICP.   Don't know what happened to that either.

Let me know if you're meeting in a pub somewhere, and I'll bring with me
a Symbolics manual to aid recognition.

Donald